Norquist named to national board
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 17,2010
Dr. Grayson Norquist, professor and chair of the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, has been appointed to a national board of medical professionals and health policy experts who are charged with researching ways to improve the country’s healthcare quality.
The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) announced recently the appointment of Norquist and 18 other members to the Board of Governors for the new Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI). This nonprofit organization, established through the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, assists patients, clinicians, purchasers, and policymakers in making informed health decisions through research projects.
A graduate of the University of Mississippi, Norquist earned the M.P.H. at the University of California-Los Angeles School of Public Health and the M.D. at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine. His research focuses on the use of telemedicine to reduce disparities in mental health treatment for those living in the Delta and to improve the quality of care they receive at local community health centers.
Norquist has served in a number of leadership positions at the National Institute of Mental Health, including director of the Division of Services and Intervention Research. He was also a clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University.
Norquist’s first term will expire in Sept. 2014. Board members are appointed at staggered terms, set at two, four and six years. They may be reappointed for one additional term.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015