Dow drops below 11,000 as dollar rebounds
by Associated Press
Published: October 19,2010
Tags: dow jones
NEW YORK — A stronger dollar and a surprise interest rate hike in China that may slow that country’s economy helped push stocks sharply lower Tuesday.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell below 11,000 for the first time in a little more than a week, reversing a streak that had pushed the index up nearly 7 percent for the year. It was the largest single-day drop in the market since early August.
Bank of America Corp.’s 4.4 percent drop was the largest fall in the Dow and came amid reports that a group of investors including BlackRock Inc. and Pacific Investment Management Co. are reportedly attempting to force the bank to repurchase mortgages put out by Countrywide Financial Corp., which Bank of America bought in 2008. BlackRock and Pimco declined to comment.
The broader stock market fell following an announcement that China, whose rapid growth has helped pull the global economy along, raised a key interest rate to fight inflation. That pushed the shares of U.S. companies down, many of which consider China an important market.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 165.07, or 1.5 percent, to 10,978.62. Standard & Poor’s 500 index fell 18.81, or 1.6 percent, to 1,165.90, while the Nasdaq composite index fell 43.71, or 1.8 percent, to 2,436.95.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip