JetBlue attendant who ‘went postal’ due for hearing
NEW YORK – The former flight attendant whose famous New York City meltdown landed him in court is scheduled for another hearing and may avoid jail time.
Steven Slater was scheduled for a hearing Tuesday. He’s charged with criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and trespassing.
The incident occurred Aug. 9 aboard a JetBlue Airways Corp. flight from Pittsburgh that had just landed at Kennedy International Airport. Slater got on the loudspeaker, cursed at passengers, then slid down the plane’s emergency chute with a beer.
Slater was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation and may be eligible for an alternative sentencing program. That means instead of jail time he would face treatment or community service, or both.
He’s resigned from JetBlue. His unusual departure made him a cult hero to some.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Prescott leads field for Conerly Trophy as state's best football player