U.S. housing construction expanding
by Amy McCullough
Published: October 19,2010
Source: The Wall Street Journal’s Market Watch
WASHINGTON — New construction of U.S. houses expanded for the third straight month in September, the Commerce Department estimated Tuesday.
Starts rose 0.3% in September to a seasonally adjusted 610,000 annualized units, much stronger than the 578,000 pace expected by economists surveyed by MarketWatch.
This is the highest level of starts since April.
Starts of new single-family homes rose by 4.4% to 452,000 in September, while starts of large apartment units fell 9.7% to 158,000.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip