U.S. housing construction expanding
Published: October 19,2010
Source: The Wall Street Journal’s Market Watch
WASHINGTON — New construction of U.S. houses expanded for the third straight month in September, the Commerce Department estimated Tuesday.
Starts rose 0.3% in September to a seasonally adjusted 610,000 annualized units, much stronger than the 578,000 pace expected by economists surveyed by MarketWatch.
This is the highest level of starts since April.
Starts of new single-family homes rose by 4.4% to 452,000 in September, while starts of large apartment units fell 9.7% to 158,000.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location