Federal biomedical research director, UMMC grad, lectures Friday
Published: October 20,2010
Source: UMMC press release
JACKSON — One of the nation’s top scientists and director of the federal agency charged with mobilizing production of last year’s H1N1 flu vaccine, the largest amount in U.S. history, will give the University of Mississippi School of Graduate Studies in the Health Sciences 2010 Research Day Distinguished Alumni Lecture on Friday.
Dr. Robin Robinson received his Ph.D. in microbiology in 1981 from UMMC’s Graduate Program – what would become the School of Graduate Studies. Robinson’s lecture, scheduled for noon in the R153 Lower Amphitheatre, is titled “Pandemic Influenza and Biothreat Preparedness and Response.”
As director of the Biomedical Advanced Research Development Authority (BARDA), an organization within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Robinson promotes development of vaccines, treatments and therapies for a range of public-health emergencies such as chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear agents, as well as infectious diseases.
Dr. Joey Granger, Graduate School dean, said Robinson’s prominent position in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services speaks highly of the quality of the graduate programs at UMMC.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Education officials changing school rating system
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
- Historic COFO building demolished due to structural problems
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand