Federal biomedical research director, UMMC grad, lectures Friday
Published: October 20,2010
Source: UMMC press release
JACKSON — One of the nation’s top scientists and director of the federal agency charged with mobilizing production of last year’s H1N1 flu vaccine, the largest amount in U.S. history, will give the University of Mississippi School of Graduate Studies in the Health Sciences 2010 Research Day Distinguished Alumni Lecture on Friday.
Dr. Robin Robinson received his Ph.D. in microbiology in 1981 from UMMC’s Graduate Program – what would become the School of Graduate Studies. Robinson’s lecture, scheduled for noon in the R153 Lower Amphitheatre, is titled “Pandemic Influenza and Biothreat Preparedness and Response.”
As director of the Biomedical Advanced Research Development Authority (BARDA), an organization within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Robinson promotes development of vaccines, treatments and therapies for a range of public-health emergencies such as chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear agents, as well as infectious diseases.
Dr. Joey Granger, Graduate School dean, said Robinson’s prominent position in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services speaks highly of the quality of the graduate programs at UMMC.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet