Furniture company announces layoffs in Miss.
ECRU — Ashley Furniture Industries has announced it will lay off 65 workers at its operation in Ecru in northeast Mississippi.
The Arcadia, Wis.-based manufacturer has 2,900 workers in Mississippi. It said Tuesday that the layoffs were because of increased foreign competition.
In 2008, Ashley Furniture cut about 200 jobs – 5 percent of its Mississippi work force at the time – at plants in Ecru and Ripley.
The new layoffs, Ashley officials say, come amid a restructuring of work assignments in the company.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan