Furniture company announces layoffs in Miss.
ECRU — Ashley Furniture Industries has announced it will lay off 65 workers at its operation in Ecru in northeast Mississippi.
The Arcadia, Wis.-based manufacturer has 2,900 workers in Mississippi. It said Tuesday that the layoffs were because of increased foreign competition.
In 2008, Ashley Furniture cut about 200 jobs – 5 percent of its Mississippi work force at the time – at plants in Ecru and Ripley.
The new layoffs, Ashley officials say, come amid a restructuring of work assignments in the company.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location