Furniture company announces layoffs in Miss.
ECRU — Ashley Furniture Industries has announced it will lay off 65 workers at its operation in Ecru in northeast Mississippi.
The Arcadia, Wis.-based manufacturer has 2,900 workers in Mississippi. It said Tuesday that the layoffs were because of increased foreign competition.
In 2008, Ashley Furniture cut about 200 jobs – 5 percent of its Mississippi work force at the time – at plants in Ecru and Ripley.
The new layoffs, Ashley officials say, come amid a restructuring of work assignments in the company.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- ALAN TURNER: Education in Mississippi – good and bad news
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JOSH MABUS: The Tao of Road House
- Answering the Bell: Interim Ole Miss law school dean well-regarded for directing hands-on clinical training