Furniture company announces layoffs in Miss.
by Associated Press
Published: October 20,2010
Tags: Ashley Furniture
ECRU — Ashley Furniture Industries has announced it will lay off 65 workers at its operation in Ecru in northeast Mississippi.
The Arcadia, Wis.-based manufacturer has 2,900 workers in Mississippi. It said Tuesday that the layoffs were because of increased foreign competition.
In 2008, Ashley Furniture cut about 200 jobs – 5 percent of its Mississippi work force at the time – at plants in Ecru and Ripley.
The new layoffs, Ashley officials say, come amid a restructuring of work assignments in the company.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- Hood joins other AGs in efforts to curb copper theft
- Entergy gives $500K grant to The Nature Conservancy