National preservation group applauds Jackson’s King Edward Hotel
Published: October 20,2010
It is one of 23 restoration projects being honored next week during a conference of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The group will meet in Austin, Texas.
The 12-story King Edward first opened in 1923 a few blocks from the Mississippi Capitol. The Neoclassical-style hotel was a social hub, but it closed in 1967.
The building stood vacant for the next four decades and became an eyesore with broken windows.
Starting in 2006, it underwent a $90 million renovation by HRI Properties of New Orleans. The King Edward reopened this past December with 186 luxury hotel rooms and 64 high-end apartments.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Inspectors find 'hot work' was cause of fatal explosion at fish plant
- Ground broken for new Hattiesburg Clinic facility