DSU honors Burnham as ‘Outstanding Alumnus’
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 24,2010
Delta State University’s College of Education has named Mississippi State Superintendent of Education Dr. Tom Burnham its 2010-2011 Outstanding Alumnus. Burnham received both the doctor of education and the educational specialist degree in administration and supervision from Delta State University.
Appointed State Superintendent of Education by the Mississippi Board of Education in 2009, Burnham began his second tenure in January. Prior to the appointment, Burnham served as the dean of the School of Education at the University of Mississippi from 2004 to 2009. He has served as superintendent of Henderson County (North Carolina) Public Schools and superintendent of Biloxi Public Schools.
Burnham has been recognized as a Golden Lamp Award recipient for his service to education and the Mississippi Association of School Administrators; a semifinalist for the Jay Robinson Leadership Award, presented by the North Carolina Public Education Forum; a recipient of the Phil Hardin Award for Distinguished Service to Education in Mississippi; and, Distinguished Alumnus of Delta State University and Outstanding Education Alumnus at Mississippi College.
Burnham holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration and a master’s degree in school administration from Mississippi College and a doctorate in curriculum and instruction from Delta State University.
He is a member of the American Association of School Administrators, the Association for Curriculum Development and Supervision and is a member of the Board of Examiners for the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force