DSU honors Burnham as ‘Outstanding Alumnus’
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 24,2010
Delta State University’s College of Education has named Mississippi State Superintendent of Education Dr. Tom Burnham its 2010-2011 Outstanding Alumnus. Burnham received both the doctor of education and the educational specialist degree in administration and supervision from Delta State University.
Appointed State Superintendent of Education by the Mississippi Board of Education in 2009, Burnham began his second tenure in January. Prior to the appointment, Burnham served as the dean of the School of Education at the University of Mississippi from 2004 to 2009. He has served as superintendent of Henderson County (North Carolina) Public Schools and superintendent of Biloxi Public Schools.
Burnham has been recognized as a Golden Lamp Award recipient for his service to education and the Mississippi Association of School Administrators; a semifinalist for the Jay Robinson Leadership Award, presented by the North Carolina Public Education Forum; a recipient of the Phil Hardin Award for Distinguished Service to Education in Mississippi; and, Distinguished Alumnus of Delta State University and Outstanding Education Alumnus at Mississippi College.
Burnham holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration and a master’s degree in school administration from Mississippi College and a doctorate in curriculum and instruction from Delta State University.
He is a member of the American Association of School Administrators, the Association for Curriculum Development and Supervision and is a member of the Board of Examiners for the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option