BancorpSouth 3Q profit down, but beats forecasts
For the July-through-September period, BancorpSouth earned $11.3 million, or 13 cents per share, compared with year-ago earnings in the third quarter of $21.5 million, or 26 cents per share. Return on average assets fell to 34 cents per $100, from 65 cents per $100.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, on average, had forecast per-share earnings of 5 cents for the latest quarter.
The company said the profit drop was due mostly to a bigger provision for loan losses: $54.9 million for the latest quarter, up from $22.5 million a year ago.
BancorpSouth said its non-performing loans and leases increased by $107.1 million during the latest quarter to $409.4 million, or 4.3 percent of all loans and leases. The company said it was affected by slow housing markets in Alabama, Nashville and Memphis, Tenn., as well as three large loans being declared non-performing in Missouri.
The results were released after financial markets closed Monday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015