BancorpSouth 3Q profit down, but beats forecasts
by Associated Press
Published: October 26,2010
For the July-through-September period, BancorpSouth earned $11.3 million, or 13 cents per share, compared with year-ago earnings in the third quarter of $21.5 million, or 26 cents per share. Return on average assets fell to 34 cents per $100, from 65 cents per $100.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, on average, had forecast per-share earnings of 5 cents for the latest quarter.
The company said the profit drop was due mostly to a bigger provision for loan losses: $54.9 million for the latest quarter, up from $22.5 million a year ago.
BancorpSouth said its non-performing loans and leases increased by $107.1 million during the latest quarter to $409.4 million, or 4.3 percent of all loans and leases. The company said it was affected by slow housing markets in Alabama, Nashville and Memphis, Tenn., as well as three large loans being declared non-performing in Missouri.
The results were released after financial markets closed Monday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- State of Louisiana mulling plan for Amtrak route
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- Anderson to turn 22 the day he's sworn into Legislature
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn
- Coast city to repay BP grant funding for Ocean Expo
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Report: MSU fostering economic growth, partnerships
- Schools appealing audit; superintendent calls it 'witch hunt'
- Bryant wants to give hospitals funds to offset health care reform