Educators worry about 2012 budget cut
At Tuesday’s House hearing on the 2012 budget, Higher Education Commissioner Hank Bounds said another big cut will “cripple the education component” at University of Mississippi Medical Center, reported the Clarion-Ledger.
The president of Hinds Community College said another cut might mean turning away students at the door, the Ledger said.
The 2012 state budget is predicted to have a $600 million deficit, and Gov. Haley Barbour has asked state agencies to cut 15 percent off their budgets.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House