Educators worry about 2012 budget cut
At Tuesday’s House hearing on the 2012 budget, Higher Education Commissioner Hank Bounds said another big cut will “cripple the education component” at University of Mississippi Medical Center, reported the Clarion-Ledger.
The president of Hinds Community College said another cut might mean turning away students at the door, the Ledger said.
The 2012 state budget is predicted to have a $600 million deficit, and Gov. Haley Barbour has asked state agencies to cut 15 percent off their budgets.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Tax slasher productions comes to Mississippi
- Status of some bills in the Mississippi Legislature
- Proposed ammo ban empties shelves
- Locker doors opening for Clinton inventor after ‘Shark Tank’
- Columbus-built Airbus gets FAA airworthiness approval
- BILL CRAWFORD: Gunn steals tax cut spotlight
- Bill would make only 1 hospital follow open-meetings act
- Hattiesburg wastewater treatment system could cost $152M
- Olive Branch votes to issue $8 million in bonds