Educators worry about 2012 budget cut
At Tuesday’s House hearing on the 2012 budget, Higher Education Commissioner Hank Bounds said another big cut will “cripple the education component” at University of Mississippi Medical Center, reported the Clarion-Ledger.
The president of Hinds Community College said another cut might mean turning away students at the door, the Ledger said.
The 2012 state budget is predicted to have a $600 million deficit, and Gov. Haley Barbour has asked state agencies to cut 15 percent off their budgets.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015