Barbour campaigning for Wis. gov. candidate
Published: October 28,2010
OAK CREEK, Wisconsin — Governors from three southern states told Wisconsin voters Wednesday that the Republican strategies of cutting taxes and shrinking government worked in their states, and gubernatorial candidate Scott Walker could make them work here too.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour appeared with Walker at a rally in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek as part of a three-city tour that started in Newton, Iowa, and was set to wrap up in Homer Glen, Ill.
Several polls show Walker, the Republican Milwaukee County executive, leading his Democratic opponent, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. Barrett had planned to spend Wednesday campaigning at schools in Eau Claire, Rhinelander and La Crosse but he canceled due to bad weather.
Walker said the governors have been his inspiration when people ask him how he’ll create jobs and make government smaller.
“Just look to these great leaders,” he said, gesturing to them before a crowd of several hundred people. “They did it and we’re going to do it.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran