Foreclosures up in Jackson, Gulfport-Biloxi
Irvine, Calif.-based RealtyTrac surveyed actions against homeowners behind on their loans, ranging from an initial notice of default to outright lender repossession. Although Jackson and Gulfport-Biloxi posted double-digit increases from the second quarter, they still ranked among the lowest metropolitan areas in RealtyTrac’s survey.
RealtyTrac said cities in California, Florida, Nevada and Arizona accounted for all top 10 foreclosure rates in the third quarter.
Little has changed in the economy to help delinquent homeowners in recent months, said RealtyTrac CEO James Saccacio.
“The underlying problems that are causing homeowners to miss their mortgage payments – high unemployment, underemployment, toxic loans and negative equity – are continuing to plague most local housing markets,” Saccacio said. “And these historically high foreclosure rates will continue until those problems are resolved.”
During the third quarter in Mississippi:
– Gulfport-Biloxi recorded 254 actions that affected one in every 417 properties, ranking the area 168th. The rate rose 45.1 percent from the second quarter and was up 16.5 percent from the third quarter of 2009.
– The Jackson area recorded 395 foreclosure-related actions that affected one in every 565 properties, ranking the region 181st in the RealtyTrac count. The rate jumped 58 percent from the second quarter, but declined 66.8 percent from the third quarter of 2009.
RealtyTrac’s survey did not include other areas in Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Foreclosures up in Jackson, Gulfport-Biloxi”
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years