Foreclosures up in Jackson, Gulfport-Biloxi
Irvine, Calif.-based RealtyTrac surveyed actions against homeowners behind on their loans, ranging from an initial notice of default to outright lender repossession. Although Jackson and Gulfport-Biloxi posted double-digit increases from the second quarter, they still ranked among the lowest metropolitan areas in RealtyTrac’s survey.
RealtyTrac said cities in California, Florida, Nevada and Arizona accounted for all top 10 foreclosure rates in the third quarter.
Little has changed in the economy to help delinquent homeowners in recent months, said RealtyTrac CEO James Saccacio.
“The underlying problems that are causing homeowners to miss their mortgage payments – high unemployment, underemployment, toxic loans and negative equity – are continuing to plague most local housing markets,” Saccacio said. “And these historically high foreclosure rates will continue until those problems are resolved.”
During the third quarter in Mississippi:
- Gulfport-Biloxi recorded 254 actions that affected one in every 417 properties, ranking the area 168th. The rate rose 45.1 percent from the second quarter and was up 16.5 percent from the third quarter of 2009.
- The Jackson area recorded 395 foreclosure-related actions that affected one in every 565 properties, ranking the region 181st in the RealtyTrac count. The rate jumped 58 percent from the second quarter, but declined 66.8 percent from the third quarter of 2009.
RealtyTrac’s survey did not include other areas in Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Foreclosures up in Jackson, Gulfport-Biloxi”
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability