‘Gatemouth’ Moore honored with Blues Trail marker
Published: November 8,2010
The marker was unveiled Monday in Yazoo City.
Moore, a blues singers of the 1940s, experienced a dramatic conversion when he went onstage at the Club DeLisa in Chicago in 1948. No blues came from his mouth, only the spiritual “Shine on Me.”
Moore soon became not only an ordained minister but also one of America’s top gospel radio announcers on WDIA in Memphis.
He served as pastor of several churches in Mississippi and Louisiana.
He died in Yazoo City in 2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Bill would open hospital meetings, expand records access