‘Gatemouth’ Moore honored with Blues Trail marker
Published: November 8,2010
The marker was unveiled Monday in Yazoo City.
Moore, a blues singers of the 1940s, experienced a dramatic conversion when he went onstage at the Club DeLisa in Chicago in 1948. No blues came from his mouth, only the spiritual “Shine on Me.”
Moore soon became not only an ordained minister but also one of America’s top gospel radio announcers on WDIA in Memphis.
He served as pastor of several churches in Mississippi and Louisiana.
He died in Yazoo City in 2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image