MDEQ gives final approval for BlueFire plant
FULTON — BlueFire Renewables Inc. has received all permits to allow start of construction of its first commercial project in Fulton.
BlueFire has obtained its final air, wastewater and storm water permits from the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) to start construction. Other permits issued related to the project include a wetlands permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and a Certificate of Permit Coverage under Mississippi’s storm water general permit from the MDEQ.
On June 4, a Final Environmental Assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact (finding) was issued by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
“The favorable findings and conclusions of the permits issued are reflective of BlueFire’s approach to design, develop, construct and operate domestic fuel production facilities that meet or exceed applicable regulations with no significant impacts to the environment,” said Arnold Klann, CEO of BlueFire Renewables, Inc. “Also embedded in the permits are conditions to protect worker and public health and safety.”
The Fulton Project will be constructed within an industrial park where infrastructure exists or requires only minimum upgrades to serve the project. The project site, controlled under a long-term lease with Itawamba County, has access to rail, interstate highways and barge for maximum flexibility in receiving materials and shipping products. With issuance of the required permits, the county jointly with the City of Fulton, has commenced work on the initial activities of clearing, rough grading and drainage improvements under a contract with Century Construction, a Mississippi based contractor. The work by Century is expected to take about 120 days.
The Fulton project will allow BlueFire to utilize green and wood wastes available in the region as feedstock for the ethanol plant that is designed to produce approximately 19 million gallons of ethanol per year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “MDEQ gives final approval for BlueFire plant”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- HCC works deal with MSU Extension Service for land to expand
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study