MDEQ gives final approval for BlueFire plant
FULTON — BlueFire Renewables Inc. has received all permits to allow start of construction of its first commercial project in Fulton.
BlueFire has obtained its final air, wastewater and storm water permits from the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) to start construction. Other permits issued related to the project include a wetlands permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and a Certificate of Permit Coverage under Mississippi’s storm water general permit from the MDEQ.
On June 4, a Final Environmental Assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact (finding) was issued by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
“The favorable findings and conclusions of the permits issued are reflective of BlueFire’s approach to design, develop, construct and operate domestic fuel production facilities that meet or exceed applicable regulations with no significant impacts to the environment,” said Arnold Klann, CEO of BlueFire Renewables, Inc. “Also embedded in the permits are conditions to protect worker and public health and safety.”
The Fulton Project will be constructed within an industrial park where infrastructure exists or requires only minimum upgrades to serve the project. The project site, controlled under a long-term lease with Itawamba County, has access to rail, interstate highways and barge for maximum flexibility in receiving materials and shipping products. With issuance of the required permits, the county jointly with the City of Fulton, has commenced work on the initial activities of clearing, rough grading and drainage improvements under a contract with Century Construction, a Mississippi based contractor. The work by Century is expected to take about 120 days.
The Fulton project will allow BlueFire to utilize green and wood wastes available in the region as feedstock for the ethanol plant that is designed to produce approximately 19 million gallons of ethanol per year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “MDEQ gives final approval for BlueFire plant”
Top Posts & Pages
- Haley Barbour: Kemper plant will rival Grand Gulf’s performance
- JOSH MABUS: Make it in Mississippi
- BEN WILLIAMS AND MOLLY JEFFCOAT: Title certificates, reports, commitments & policies: The difference may be your job!
- MDOT commissioner: National group gets it ‘backwards’ on state’s spending on bridge upkeep
- With S&P suit settled, Mississippi set to take on Moody’s over flawed investment ratings
- LOUANN LOFTON: A book of maps for lovers of New Orleans
- Longtime Biloxi mayor Holloway resigns
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- Texas company fined for taking water from a Mississippi river