State’s foreclosure actions fell in October
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Foreclosure actions aimed at Mississippi homeowners cooled a bit in October, a national tracking company reported today.
Irvine, Calif.-based RealtyTrac said there were 516 foreclosure-related actions in Mississippi last month. Those ranged from an initial notice of default to outright lender repossession. The count was down 1.5 percent from September and down 4.3 percent from Oct. 2009.
Last month, lenders took back 241 properties in Mississippi. One in every 2,456 Mississippi housing units received a foreclosure-related notice, ranking the state 45th nationally.
RealtyTrac said lenders foreclosed on 93,326 U.S. properties in October, down 9 percent from the record high set in September, but still up 21 percent from Oct. 2009.
RealtyTrac CEO James Saccacio said the October number likely dropped because some lenders have stopped foreclosure proceedings over questions about the legality of some paperwork. Otherwise, the crisis continues relatively unabated, he said.
“October marks the 20th consecutive month where over 300,000 U.S. homeowners received a foreclosure notice,” Saccaciao said.
Nevada continued to have the state’s highest foreclosure rate in October, with one in every 79 housing units receiving a foreclosure-related notice. That was followed by Florida, Arizona, California, Michigan, Utah, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois and Colorado.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics