Chaney calls healthcare reform communism
Published: November 12,2010
OLIVE BRANCH — Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney says some parts of the federal healthcare overhaul won’t work because they came from “pure socialist-communist ideas.”
The Republican’s comments came Nov. 10 during a speech to the Olive Branch Chamber of Commerce.
The Commercial Appeal reports that Chaney said he and his staff are sorting through the federal law that started taking effect earlier this year.
Chaney said some ideas came from Republicans or Democrats. But he said the law is partly socialist because it would require “taking money from one class of people and giving it to another.”
Chaney has been insurance commissioner three years. He’s seeking re-election in 2011.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Columbia Parachute expanding, relocating to BusinessPlex
- Tourism conference being held on Coast; industry to ask state for more money