Chaney calls healthcare reform communism
Published: November 12,2010
OLIVE BRANCH — Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney says some parts of the federal healthcare overhaul won’t work because they came from “pure socialist-communist ideas.”
The Republican’s comments came Nov. 10 during a speech to the Olive Branch Chamber of Commerce.
The Commercial Appeal reports that Chaney said he and his staff are sorting through the federal law that started taking effect earlier this year.
Chaney said some ideas came from Republicans or Democrats. But he said the law is partly socialist because it would require “taking money from one class of people and giving it to another.”
Chaney has been insurance commissioner three years. He’s seeking re-election in 2011.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit