Partnership looking to recruit in Midwest
MCCOMB — Industrial recruiters in Southwest Mississippi are looking to the Midwest for new business.
The McComb Enterprise-Journal reports that local economic development director Britt Herrin says a firm hired by the Southwest Mississippi Partnership will begin contacting companies later this month, with further meetings expected to follow in December.
The partnership is comprised of Adams, Amite, Claiborne, Franklin, Jefferson, Lawrence, Lincoln, Pike, Walthall and Wilkinson counties.
Herrin says efforts will concentrate on the Chicago area, including Toledo, Ohio and Milwaukee.
He says a partnership-sponsored study and report of potential industrial targets developed by Location Strategies of Atlanta. He says the company came up with five industries that best fit in southwest Mississippi — call centers, metal fabrication, plastics, large food processing industries and general food processing.
Herrin said the study also indicated that the costs of doing business in southwest Mississippi is about 20 percent less than other areas of the country.
Herrin also said the area has several advantages for business, including an available work force and resources for work force training and education, as well as access to ports, airports, railroads and Interstate 55.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Investigators find massive Ag Museum fire was an accident
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- UM Chancellor Jones: Lymphoma treatment going well
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful