Keeping our eye on: Mick Bullock
by Stephen McDill
Published: November 14,2010
Education: MA in management, Belhaven University; BA in communication, University of Southern Mississippi
Current Position: Director of communications, Lt. Governor Phil Bryant
Wherever Phil Bryant is, Mick Bullock is sure to be close by, usually clutching a stack of press releases.
The Columbia native relishes his role as an up-and-coming political gatekeeper in the Magnolia State. “Since my teenage years, I have immersed myself in Mississippi politics,” he says. His first political gig was as a Senate page at the State Capitol where lawmakers would invite him out for lunch at Crechales in Jackson. “I had to step out to call my mom and tell her,” Bullock says. “I thought I was a big dog.”
After college and a Washington, D.C., internship with former U.S. Rep. Mike Parker, Bullock began working as an executive and legislative liaison for then State Auditor Phil Bryant. Today, his weeks are full of event planning, state agency meetings and assisting the Legislature, local governments and private entities as well as talking to local, state and national media representatives.
In his down time, Bullock says he enjoys running, hunting and a good patio barbecue. His civic involvement includes the Public Relations Association of Central Mississippi and the National Rifle Association Central Chapter Board.
First job ever: Jack’s Sandwich Shop, Columbia
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Vicksburg National Military Park
Must have Mississippi food: Fried catfish with hushpuppies with tarter sauce and onions on the side.
Favorite hangout: Fenian’s
Favorite television show: “The Office”
Favorite movie: “The Hunt for Red October”
Favorite band: The Dave Matthews Band
Last book read: “Huey Long” by T. Harry Williams
Best role model: My Dad
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path