Keeping our eye on: Mick Bullock
Published: November 14,2010
Education: MA in management, Belhaven University; BA in communication, University of Southern Mississippi
Current Position: Director of communications, Lt. Governor Phil Bryant
Wherever Phil Bryant is, Mick Bullock is sure to be close by, usually clutching a stack of press releases.
The Columbia native relishes his role as an up-and-coming political gatekeeper in the Magnolia State. “Since my teenage years, I have immersed myself in Mississippi politics,” he says. His first political gig was as a Senate page at the State Capitol where lawmakers would invite him out for lunch at Crechales in Jackson. “I had to step out to call my mom and tell her,” Bullock says. “I thought I was a big dog.”
After college and a Washington, D.C., internship with former U.S. Rep. Mike Parker, Bullock began working as an executive and legislative liaison for then State Auditor Phil Bryant. Today, his weeks are full of event planning, state agency meetings and assisting the Legislature, local governments and private entities as well as talking to local, state and national media representatives.
In his down time, Bullock says he enjoys running, hunting and a good patio barbecue. His civic involvement includes the Public Relations Association of Central Mississippi and the National Rifle Association Central Chapter Board.
First job ever: Jack’s Sandwich Shop, Columbia
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Vicksburg National Military Park
Must have Mississippi food: Fried catfish with hushpuppies with tarter sauce and onions on the side.
Favorite hangout: Fenian’s
Favorite television show: “The Office”
Favorite movie: “The Hunt for Red October”
Favorite band: The Dave Matthews Band
Last book read: “Huey Long” by T. Harry Williams
Best role model: My Dad
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Fair cabins becoming more valuable, sources say
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau