Cellular South, Samsung to build 4G network
RIDGELAND — Cellular South and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) have entered a strategic alliance to build a fourth-generation (4G) mobile broadband network for the nation’s largest privately owned wireless communications provider using Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology.
The alliance also calls for the mobile phone provider Samsung Mobile to supply Cellular South with two LTE Band Class 12 4G smartphone handsets as well as other new and innovative network solutions operating in the 700 MHz spectrum. The devices and the network will be ready for launch in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Terms were not disclosed.
LTE technology enables delivery of wireless broadband service for higher performance mobile computing, multimedia and consumer electronic devices and applications. The technology is designed to deliver mobile data networks with higher speed and throughput performance, lower latency, roaming and improved efficiencies.
The alliance with Samsung is designed to allow both companies to jointly pursue the integration of rich multi-media services and “three screen differentiation” across smartphones, laptops and netbooks and televisions, including access to Samsung Media Hub, a library of video and literary content powered by some of the biggest names in entertainment.
Samsung Mobile and Cellular South plan to launch LTE service by the end of 2011 using voice-over LTE (VoLTE) and continue to expand availability across its 700 MHz footprint in 2012.
“Our move to 4G is driven by our vision of creating an unmatched experience and enabling our customers to experience pervasive wireless Internet connectivity and mobility,” said Hu Meena, president and CEO of Cellular South.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Cellular South, Samsung to build 4G network”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody