UM pharmacy school creates residencies
by Amy McCullough
Published: November 23,2010
OXFORD — In response to the growing number of pharmacy graduates seeking opportunities to further develop their practice skills, the University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy has created a Community Pharmacy Residency Program.
The residency is a one-year training program focused on advancing skills in providing direct patient care, patient care service development and practice management. The first resident was accepted in July 2009, and an additional residency position was added this year.
The program is supported by a larger project in the School of Pharmacy, the Delta Pharmacy Patient Care Management Project, which is enabling pharmacists and faculty to provide medication therapy management and other innovative patient services in community pharmacies in Yazoo City, Clarksdale, Batesville, Indianola, Durant, Belzoni, Hollandale, Hernando, Olive Branch and Charleston. Through this project, residents provide services in Webb’s Pharmacy and in the G.A. Carmichael Family Health Center in Yazoo City.
Additional training sites include Walgreens in Brandon and Clinton, and the Cardiometabolic and Family Medicine clinics at the UM Medical Center in Jackson.
The UMMC clinics combat chronic diseases, and residents work with clinical pharmacists and physicians to improve patient outcomes.
The Delta Pharmacy Patient Care Management Project is funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration through the nonprofit Delta Health Alliance. DHA funds a number of projects aimed at coordinating health efforts in the Delta.
Source: Press release
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!