Coast servers: Tipping is down by half
by Associated Press
Published: December 6,2010
BILOXI — Hard times are showing up along the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the form of lower tips for those in the service industry.
Waitresses and others who work in the various service industries on the Coast say tips are down by about half this year and they don’t expect it to jump much during the holidays.
Brenda Guichet, who creates arrangements at Roses Floral on Pass Road in Biloxi, says people just can’t afford it.
The Sun Herald reported on Sunday that her husband, Philip Guichet, says he used to pocket tips of $2, $3 and $5 when he delivered flowers. He’s seen a total of about $10 in tips this year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip