Coast servers: Tipping is down by half
Published: December 6,2010
BILOXI — Hard times are showing up along the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the form of lower tips for those in the service industry.
Waitresses and others who work in the various service industries on the Coast say tips are down by about half this year and they don’t expect it to jump much during the holidays.
Brenda Guichet, who creates arrangements at Roses Floral on Pass Road in Biloxi, says people just can’t afford it.
The Sun Herald reported on Sunday that her husband, Philip Guichet, says he used to pocket tips of $2, $3 and $5 when he delivered flowers. He’s seen a total of about $10 in tips this year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Finding your flexible space — Regus banks on high demand for customizable work spaces
- Miss. children's hospital plans $150 million expansion
- Watch out for wildlife while driving on roads, highways
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs