Coast servers: Tipping is down by half
Published: December 6,2010
BILOXI — Hard times are showing up along the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the form of lower tips for those in the service industry.
Waitresses and others who work in the various service industries on the Coast say tips are down by about half this year and they don’t expect it to jump much during the holidays.
Brenda Guichet, who creates arrangements at Roses Floral on Pass Road in Biloxi, says people just can’t afford it.
The Sun Herald reported on Sunday that her husband, Philip Guichet, says he used to pocket tips of $2, $3 and $5 when he delivered flowers. He’s seen a total of about $10 in tips this year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Cochran continues to question EPA over new regulations
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19