Coast servers: Tipping is down by half
by Associated Press
Published: December 6,2010
BILOXI — Hard times are showing up along the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the form of lower tips for those in the service industry.
Waitresses and others who work in the various service industries on the Coast say tips are down by about half this year and they don’t expect it to jump much during the holidays.
Brenda Guichet, who creates arrangements at Roses Floral on Pass Road in Biloxi, says people just can’t afford it.
The Sun Herald reported on Sunday that her husband, Philip Guichet, says he used to pocket tips of $2, $3 and $5 when he delivered flowers. He’s seen a total of about $10 in tips this year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- South's oldest casino to reopen as Golden Nugget
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones
- At age 17, ‘the flagpole kid’ is already a business success story
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Doctor appeals Medicaid, Medicare fraud conviction
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Appeals panel rules against town in race discrimination case
- Entrepreneurs want ordinance change to add micro-brewery