Coast servers: Tipping is down by half
Published: December 6,2010
BILOXI — Hard times are showing up along the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the form of lower tips for those in the service industry.
Waitresses and others who work in the various service industries on the Coast say tips are down by about half this year and they don’t expect it to jump much during the holidays.
Brenda Guichet, who creates arrangements at Roses Floral on Pass Road in Biloxi, says people just can’t afford it.
The Sun Herald reported on Sunday that her husband, Philip Guichet, says he used to pocket tips of $2, $3 and $5 when he delivered flowers. He’s seen a total of about $10 in tips this year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House