Ground broken for new Highland hospital
by Wally Northway
Published: December 10,2010
PICAYUNE — On Dec. 8, representatives from Forrest General Hospital, Highland Community Hospital, Roy Anderson Corporation and Forrest and Pearl River counties participated in a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Highland Community Hospital in Picayune.
In May 2006, Forrest General purchased what was then Crosby Memorial Hospital, renaming it Highland Community Hospital.
Site work has already been completed and construction is scheduled this month.
The new hospital will be located on Mississippi 11 in Picayune on a 31-acre parcel of land, 20 of which was donated by Carle Cooper of Picayune. Design of the hospital was and will continue to be a joint effort between hospital administration, the medical and hospital staff and Roy Anderson Corporation.
In addition to the hospital, two new physician office buildings will be constructed on the site with one to be completed in the summer of 2011 and the second to be completed on the same timeline as the new hospital facility, which is April 2012.
The new Highland Community Hospital will be located at Highland Commons, a planned unit development consisting of approximately 300 acres.
According to Cooper Company, who is developing the property, about half of Highland Commons will be residential, including single-family homes and condos, and the remainder of the property will be commercial and office-professional, including a multi-use town center.
The new hospital will provide an expanded Emergency Room and more space for obstetrical care, surgery and other procedures as well as additional diagnostic and x-ray technology.
Phase one of the new hospital will initially feature 60 inpatient beds and a modern layout designed to accommodate the latest trends in health care. Highland’s outpatient services will also expand greatly to meet the needs of the growing local population.
It is projected that the first patients will be seen in the new facility beginning in July 2012.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip