MDOT starts two-phase construction project
by Wally Northway
Published: December 13,2010
JACKSON COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will soon begin work on a comprehensive highway reconstruction project beginning at the U.S. 90 interchange of Mississippi 63 (to the north) and Highway 611 (to the south) in Jackson County.
Tanner Construction Company was awarded the phase one $21-million project.
Jackson County was awarded a $35-million Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) grant to construct the two-phase interchange project.
Initial work on phase one of the project has begun this month, with construction set to begin in early January. Along with intersection improvements, the project will involve roadway reconstruction both north and south along Mississippi 63 and Highway 611. The project will include construction of a new 711-foot bridge, which will be built along Mississippi 63 with two lanes northbound and a turn lane and two lanes southbound with a merge lane. The new bridge will span existing U.S. 90 and the railroad tracks to the south.
A number of roadway realignments and new traffic signals will be included in the project. Mississippi 63 will be realigned going northbound at Old Mobile Highway and will tie back to existing Mississippi 63 at Frederick Street. Shortcut Road will be realigned to the north with a new signal. New signals will be installed at Old Mobile Highway and U.S. 90 at both new ramp locations and the new Shortcut road alignment 500 feet south of Frederick Street.
The new bridge will be constructed entirely to the east of the existing U.S. 90 and Mississippi 63/Highway 611 interchange. The existing intersection will remain open until the bridge is fully constructed. Traffic will then be diverted to the new bridge and the remaining ramps will be constructed.
Phase two of the project is expected to start late next year, which will expand Highway 611 to five lanes from Old Mobile Highway to the end of state maintenance at the Chevron Pascagoula Refinery facility.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “MDOT starts two-phase construction project”
Top Posts & Pages
- Palmertree blocked from using public funds for legal defense
- Two companies fined for violations of 'No-Call' law
- Report: Mississippi only state to see drop in home prices
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- John Ferrucci'a perfect voice is perfect for the Silver Slipper Casino
- City suing Hercules for pollution at shuttered plant site
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Ex-Democrat Taylor cleared to run in primary as Republican
- Rankin chosen as new president of Alcorn State