Barbour unveils new broadband availability website
Published: December 14,2010
JACKSON — Gov. Haley Barbour recently unveiled a new “Broadband For Mississippi” website featuring a tool that outlines the availability of broadband across the state. The site is part of the state’s overall effort to increase high-speed Internet access to every community.
The site, at www.broadband.ms.gov, allows Mississippians to learn more about broadband technology and what it means to their community. The site also explains the state’s initiatives to improve access to broadband for all residents and allows visitors to test the speed of their current Internet service.
“Expanding Internet access through the latest and fastest technologies is critical to the state’s economic development, education and health care sectors,” Barbour said. “This site will be another way for Mississippians to learn about broadband technology and how it can help their lives.”
Broadband For Mississippi is part of a more than $7-million effort to evaluate and enhance the availability of broadband technology statewide. The program, which is managed by the Mississippi Broadband Task Force, is funded through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Mike Morgan has calmness of mind