Ex-university researcher pleads guilty to stealing
by Wally Northway
Published: December 19,2010
HANCOCK COUNTY — According to State Auditor Stacey Pickering, Stacie Stroud, former employee of Mississippi State University, has pled guilty to embezzling approximately $34,315 by using her state-issued procurement credit card for personal purchases.
Stroud, 33, was an employee at MSU’s research facility located at the Stennis Space Center in Hancock County from Sept. 2007–Feb. 2009. She was sentenced to four years of probation under the supervision of the Mississippi Department of Corrections.
MSU’s internal auditors discovered the discrepancies with Stroud’s state-issued procurement card and reported the allegations to the State Auditor’s Office in Feb. 2009.
Stroud pled guilty to misusing her procurement card for personal purchases including her neighborhood homeowner’s dues, a birthday party, payment on her student account at MSU, Amazon.com, Office Depot and the campus bookstore. In addition to the use of her procurement card, Stroud also charged personal fuel expenses to a Chevron fuel card, property of the University.
The State Auditor’s Office took exception to approximately $42,691, which includes approximately $34,315 in principal, approximately $1,511 in interest and approximately $6,864 in investigative costs. Stroud repaid approximately $42,691 to the court following her appearance in court Dec. 9.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release
- Quapaw Canoe Company gains legislative support in battle with tax department
- Gulf Coast's design studio teaches lessons on sustainability
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- The link between education and economic development