Supes want new election deadline, award tax credit
Published: December 22,2010
SOUTHAVEN — DeSoto County supervisors will ask lawmakers for local legislation to delay the March 1 qualifying deadline for local candidates in the 2011 elections.
Supervisors fear they won’t get new census data in time to redraw new district lines.
Legislative leaders have said no extension is likely.
Supervisor Bill Russell tells The Commercial Appeal that getting new districts in place by March 1 will be difficult, especially when Justice Department approval must be gotten.
Supervisors say if they get census data by Feb. 7, they will have only three weeks to draw new district lines for supervisors, local school and election boards, justice court judges and constables.
In a separate item, a Southaven company that manufactures and ships close to 30 million bottles of bubble solution a year all over the world has received a Freeport Warehouse Tax exemption from the DeSoto County supervisors.
The property tax exemption is available to companies involving finished goods inventory in transit to a destination outside Mississippi.
The company also manufactures yo-yos, jump ropes and other toys.
Mike Smith, general manager for Imperial Toy, LLC, says the company relocated to Southaven on Dec. 1 from Memphis where it had been manufacturing the line of bubbles for the past 10 years.
The company has a total of 110 part-time or temporary employees and will bring on line 60 full-time employees.
The company manufactures the Miracle Bubble, Super Miracle and Premium Super Miracle Bubble brands.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics