Saunders, King win Hub Awards
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 26,2010
University of Southern Mississippi president Martha Saunders has been named the 32nd recipient of The Hub Award, which honors outstanding contributions to the Hattiesburg community, commitment to excellence and dedication to public service, during a recognition dinner at the Hattiesburg Country Club.
A graduate of Hattiesburg High School and Southern Miss, Saunders became the ninth president of her alma mater in May 2007 after having served as chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. She has taught thousands of students during her 30-year career, during which she has also held various administrative positions, including at Columbus State University and the University of West Florida.
Her research and expertise in communication have led to several publications focusing on crisis communications and public relations; widely anthologized public speeches; and the Public Relations Society of America’s highest national award for her “Just 2 It!” public safety communication campaign.
Also receiving the Hub Award at the event was William Carey University president Tommy King, who holds a doctorate from Southern Miss.
A college scholarship is established in honor of each Hub Award recipient. To date, more than $500,000 in scholarship funds has been raised because of this award.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability