Saunders, King win Hub Awards
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 26,2010
University of Southern Mississippi president Martha Saunders has been named the 32nd recipient of The Hub Award, which honors outstanding contributions to the Hattiesburg community, commitment to excellence and dedication to public service, during a recognition dinner at the Hattiesburg Country Club.
A graduate of Hattiesburg High School and Southern Miss, Saunders became the ninth president of her alma mater in May 2007 after having served as chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. She has taught thousands of students during her 30-year career, during which she has also held various administrative positions, including at Columbus State University and the University of West Florida.
Her research and expertise in communication have led to several publications focusing on crisis communications and public relations; widely anthologized public speeches; and the Public Relations Society of America’s highest national award for her “Just 2 It!” public safety communication campaign.
Also receiving the Hub Award at the event was William Carey University president Tommy King, who holds a doctorate from Southern Miss.
A college scholarship is established in honor of each Hub Award recipient. To date, more than $500,000 in scholarship funds has been raised because of this award.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- The link between education and economic development