Saunders, King win Hub Awards
by MBJ Staff
Published: December 26,2010
University of Southern Mississippi president Martha Saunders has been named the 32nd recipient of The Hub Award, which honors outstanding contributions to the Hattiesburg community, commitment to excellence and dedication to public service, during a recognition dinner at the Hattiesburg Country Club.
A graduate of Hattiesburg High School and Southern Miss, Saunders became the ninth president of her alma mater in May 2007 after having served as chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. She has taught thousands of students during her 30-year career, during which she has also held various administrative positions, including at Columbus State University and the University of West Florida.
Her research and expertise in communication have led to several publications focusing on crisis communications and public relations; widely anthologized public speeches; and the Public Relations Society of America’s highest national award for her “Just 2 It!” public safety communication campaign.
Also receiving the Hub Award at the event was William Carey University president Tommy King, who holds a doctorate from Southern Miss.
A college scholarship is established in honor of each Hub Award recipient. To date, more than $500,000 in scholarship funds has been raised because of this award.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics