Pharmacy closing after 118 years in business
AMORY — Peoples Drug Company will close the doors Dec. 31, ending its run as Amory’s oldest pharmacy in Amory.
A pharmacy has existed in the same location on Main Street since 1892.
The pharmacy burned in 1893 and was rebuilt in 1894. The only thing saved from the fire were blue apothecary jars that have been on display at Peoples Drug Company since they were given to Dick Millender, owner of Peoples Drug, by Mae Owens, who had built and owned the pharmacy.
Another attraction at the store was the set of swinging saloon doors, which Millender thinks were once in a downtown saloon.
Evelyn Gregory Reedy and her aunt, Bessie Johnson, bought the pharmacy in 1944, and her uncle served as the pharmacist.
Millender started working as a pharmacist at Peoples Drug Company Feb. 16, 1959. He bought the building in 1967 and remodeled it and made the pharmacy larger.
“Things have changed 200 percent since I began as a pharmacist in 1959,” Millender told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal. “Everybody wants to do things by computer now. There is not a place for a mom and pop business anymore. Big pharmacies can sell merchandise cheaper than we can buy it.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Pharmacy closing after 118 years in business”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Fitch gives Mississippi Power a negative outlook due to Kemper plant
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Payday lender expects clean bill from regulators