Pharmacy closing after 118 years in business
AMORY — Peoples Drug Company will close the doors Dec. 31, ending its run as Amory’s oldest pharmacy in Amory.
A pharmacy has existed in the same location on Main Street since 1892.
The pharmacy burned in 1893 and was rebuilt in 1894. The only thing saved from the fire were blue apothecary jars that have been on display at Peoples Drug Company since they were given to Dick Millender, owner of Peoples Drug, by Mae Owens, who had built and owned the pharmacy.
Another attraction at the store was the set of swinging saloon doors, which Millender thinks were once in a downtown saloon.
Evelyn Gregory Reedy and her aunt, Bessie Johnson, bought the pharmacy in 1944, and her uncle served as the pharmacist.
Millender started working as a pharmacist at Peoples Drug Company Feb. 16, 1959. He bought the building in 1967 and remodeled it and made the pharmacy larger.
“Things have changed 200 percent since I began as a pharmacist in 1959,” Millender told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal. “Everybody wants to do things by computer now. There is not a place for a mom and pop business anymore. Big pharmacies can sell merchandise cheaper than we can buy it.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Pharmacy closing after 118 years in business”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- News The Way You Want It!