Pharmacy closing after 118 years in business
AMORY — Peoples Drug Company will close the doors Dec. 31, ending its run as Amory’s oldest pharmacy in Amory.
A pharmacy has existed in the same location on Main Street since 1892.
The pharmacy burned in 1893 and was rebuilt in 1894. The only thing saved from the fire were blue apothecary jars that have been on display at Peoples Drug Company since they were given to Dick Millender, owner of Peoples Drug, by Mae Owens, who had built and owned the pharmacy.
Another attraction at the store was the set of swinging saloon doors, which Millender thinks were once in a downtown saloon.
Evelyn Gregory Reedy and her aunt, Bessie Johnson, bought the pharmacy in 1944, and her uncle served as the pharmacist.
Millender started working as a pharmacist at Peoples Drug Company Feb. 16, 1959. He bought the building in 1967 and remodeled it and made the pharmacy larger.
“Things have changed 200 percent since I began as a pharmacist in 1959,” Millender told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal. “Everybody wants to do things by computer now. There is not a place for a mom and pop business anymore. Big pharmacies can sell merchandise cheaper than we can buy it.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Pharmacy closing after 118 years in business”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren