Hewes announces lieutenant governor candidacy
GULFPORT — Republican Billy Hewes of Gulfport is making several appearances across Mississippi this week to launch his campaign for lieutenant governor.
He is the first candidate to announce for lieutenant governor.
Hewes has been in the state Senate since 1992. The 49-year-old is beginning his fourth year as president pro tempore, the second-highest officer in the 52-member chamber.
Candidates’ filing deadline is March 1. Party primaries are Aug. 2, and the general election is Nov. 8.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force