Hewes announces lieutenant governor candidacy
GULFPORT — Republican Billy Hewes of Gulfport is making several appearances across Mississippi this week to launch his campaign for lieutenant governor.
He is the first candidate to announce for lieutenant governor.
Hewes has been in the state Senate since 1992. The 49-year-old is beginning his fourth year as president pro tempore, the second-highest officer in the 52-member chamber.
Candidates’ filing deadline is March 1. Party primaries are Aug. 2, and the general election is Nov. 8.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts