Hewes announces lieutenant governor candidacy
GULFPORT — Republican Billy Hewes of Gulfport is making several appearances across Mississippi this week to launch his campaign for lieutenant governor.
He is the first candidate to announce for lieutenant governor.
Hewes has been in the state Senate since 1992. The 49-year-old is beginning his fourth year as president pro tempore, the second-highest officer in the 52-member chamber.
Candidates’ filing deadline is March 1. Party primaries are Aug. 2, and the general election is Nov. 8.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center