Law firm: St. D agrees to lawsuit settlement
JACKSON — Seven more hospitals, including one in Mississippi, have agreed to pay the government a total of $6.3 million to settle a whistleblower lawsuit involving the overcharge of Medicare for a type of back surgery known as “kyphoplasty,” according to the law firm of Phillips & Cohen, LLP, which cited a Department of Justice announcement made Jan. 4.
The hospitals are located in Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas.
According to the firm, St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital in Jackson agreed to pay $555,949.
The settlements bring the government’s total recoveries from the lawsuit to $101 million, collected from 25 hospitals and Medtronic Spine, LLC, formerly known as Kyphon Inc.
The firm said Kyphon sold the equipment and materials used to perform kyphoplasty and advised the hospitals on billing practices for the procedure.
Kyphoplasty is used to treat certain spinal compression fractures.
The whistleblowers, Chuck Bates and Craig Patrick, are former employees of Kyphon Inc. Phillips & Cohen said it filed a “qui tam” (whistleblower) lawsuit on their behalf against Kyphon and a number of hospitals in 2008 federal district court in Buffalo, N.Y.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager