Metro unemployment rates remain high
by Associated Press
Published: January 5,2011
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — The unemployment rate rose in more than two-thirds of the nation’s 372 largest metro areas in November, the Labor Department said yesterday. That’s a sharp reversal from the previous month and the most to report an increase in five months.
In Mississippi, the unemployment in Gulfport-Biloxi was 8.6 percent in Nov. 2010, unchanged from Oct. 2010 but up from the 7.9 percent posted in Nov. 2009.
Hattiesburg had a jobless rate of 8 percent in Nov. 2010, down from 8.1 percent in Oct. 2010 but up slightly from Nov. 2009′s 7.9 percent.
Jackson recorded an unemployment rate in Nov. 2010 of 7.8 percent, down a tenth of a point from Oct. 2010 but up two-tenths of a point from Nov. 2009.
Pascagoula’s Nov. 2010 unemployment rate was 9.6 percent, up from 9.3 percent in Oct. 2010, the state’s only metro area to post a month-over-month increase. The city’s jobless rate was 8.9 percent in Nov. 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data