Metro unemployment rates remain high
Published: January 5,2011
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — The unemployment rate rose in more than two-thirds of the nation’s 372 largest metro areas in November, the Labor Department said yesterday. That’s a sharp reversal from the previous month and the most to report an increase in five months.
In Mississippi, the unemployment in Gulfport-Biloxi was 8.6 percent in Nov. 2010, unchanged from Oct. 2010 but up from the 7.9 percent posted in Nov. 2009.
Hattiesburg had a jobless rate of 8 percent in Nov. 2010, down from 8.1 percent in Oct. 2010 but up slightly from Nov. 2009’s 7.9 percent.
Jackson recorded an unemployment rate in Nov. 2010 of 7.8 percent, down a tenth of a point from Oct. 2010 but up two-tenths of a point from Nov. 2009.
Pascagoula’s Nov. 2010 unemployment rate was 9.6 percent, up from 9.3 percent in Oct. 2010, the state’s only metro area to post a month-over-month increase. The city’s jobless rate was 8.9 percent in Nov. 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on