Metro unemployment rates remain high
by Associated Press
Published: January 5,2011
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — The unemployment rate rose in more than two-thirds of the nation’s 372 largest metro areas in November, the Labor Department said yesterday. That’s a sharp reversal from the previous month and the most to report an increase in five months.
In Mississippi, the unemployment in Gulfport-Biloxi was 8.6 percent in Nov. 2010, unchanged from Oct. 2010 but up from the 7.9 percent posted in Nov. 2009.
Hattiesburg had a jobless rate of 8 percent in Nov. 2010, down from 8.1 percent in Oct. 2010 but up slightly from Nov. 2009′s 7.9 percent.
Jackson recorded an unemployment rate in Nov. 2010 of 7.8 percent, down a tenth of a point from Oct. 2010 but up two-tenths of a point from Nov. 2009.
Pascagoula’s Nov. 2010 unemployment rate was 9.6 percent, up from 9.3 percent in Oct. 2010, the state’s only metro area to post a month-over-month increase. The city’s jobless rate was 8.9 percent in Nov. 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil