Metro unemployment rates remain high
Published: January 5,2011
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — The unemployment rate rose in more than two-thirds of the nation’s 372 largest metro areas in November, the Labor Department said yesterday. That’s a sharp reversal from the previous month and the most to report an increase in five months.
In Mississippi, the unemployment in Gulfport-Biloxi was 8.6 percent in Nov. 2010, unchanged from Oct. 2010 but up from the 7.9 percent posted in Nov. 2009.
Hattiesburg had a jobless rate of 8 percent in Nov. 2010, down from 8.1 percent in Oct. 2010 but up slightly from Nov. 2009′s 7.9 percent.
Jackson recorded an unemployment rate in Nov. 2010 of 7.8 percent, down a tenth of a point from Oct. 2010 but up two-tenths of a point from Nov. 2009.
Pascagoula’s Nov. 2010 unemployment rate was 9.6 percent, up from 9.3 percent in Oct. 2010, the state’s only metro area to post a month-over-month increase. The city’s jobless rate was 8.9 percent in Nov. 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- 'Get on Up' movie opens in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet