MDOT’s ‘MED-COM’ wins another national award
Published: January 8,2011
JACKSON — The Mississippi Department of Transportation has been chosen as the recipient of the International Road Federation’s (IRF’s) 2010 Global Road Achievement Award for Safety for an interagency project that will assist first responders.
MDOT’s Traffic Engineering Division will be accepting the award for the “msTraffic MED-COM Project,” which allows travel network information to be rapidly shared and utilized by emergency and medical responders.
ITS Program manager Mike Stokes said, “The Mississippi MED-COM Center serves as a state-wide hub for emergency management information. Live streaming video of major interstates and intersections in Mississippi are provided which allows MED-COM operators to assist and guide emergency service vehicles in reaching incidents and subsequently, medical facilities.”
The msTraffic MED-COM Project, according to Stokes, makes roadways safer by integrating the newest technology to make the most efficient use of available resources.
The MED-COM center is located in Jackson at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMC), and is staffed 24/7 with experienced paramedics and emergency technicians who assist responders and medical facilities. On average, MED-COM coordinates and communicates with 43 ambulance transports into UMC hospitals and clinics daily.
The IRF will present the safety award during the organization’s annual award banquet, which will be held on January 25 in Washington, D.C.
The IRF award will be the second major safety award the project has garnered, having already been presented with the Institute of Transportation Engineers 2010 Transportation Achievement Award for Safety in August.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager