MDOT’s ‘MED-COM’ wins another national award
by Wally Northway
Published: January 8,2011
JACKSON — The Mississippi Department of Transportation has been chosen as the recipient of the International Road Federation’s (IRF’s) 2010 Global Road Achievement Award for Safety for an interagency project that will assist first responders.
MDOT’s Traffic Engineering Division will be accepting the award for the “msTraffic MED-COM Project,” which allows travel network information to be rapidly shared and utilized by emergency and medical responders.
ITS Program manager Mike Stokes said, “The Mississippi MED-COM Center serves as a state-wide hub for emergency management information. Live streaming video of major interstates and intersections in Mississippi are provided which allows MED-COM operators to assist and guide emergency service vehicles in reaching incidents and subsequently, medical facilities.”
The msTraffic MED-COM Project, according to Stokes, makes roadways safer by integrating the newest technology to make the most efficient use of available resources.
The MED-COM center is located in Jackson at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMC), and is staffed 24/7 with experienced paramedics and emergency technicians who assist responders and medical facilities. On average, MED-COM coordinates and communicates with 43 ambulance transports into UMC hospitals and clinics daily.
The IRF will present the safety award during the organization’s annual award banquet, which will be held on January 25 in Washington, D.C.
The IRF award will be the second major safety award the project has garnered, having already been presented with the Institute of Transportation Engineers 2010 Transportation Achievement Award for Safety in August.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- News The Way You Want It!