Hilburn appointed as special judge
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 9,2011
The Mississippi Supreme Court has appointed retired Hinds County Circuit Judge L. Breland Hilburn to assist the Seventh Circuit Court of Hinds County with its criminal case docket. Supreme Court Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr. signed an order appointing Judge Hilburn to continue the work of the JET grant program, which was begun in 2008 to address violent and drug related crimes.
The appointment is for a term beginning Jan. 4 and extending through Oct. 31, 2011.
Judge Hilburn has previously served by special appointment of the Supreme Court to assist in hearing criminal cases in Hinds County. He was first appointed as a special judge for Hinds County in July 2004, and continued to hear cases through March 2010.
Judge Hilburn retired from his elected judgeship May 31, 2002, after 30 years on the bench. He served as a Seventh District Circuit Judge from 1981 through 2002. He previously served as a Jackson Municipal Court Judge 1972-1978, then as a Hinds County Court Judge until 1981.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Nullification and interposition
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge