Hopkins receives honorary law degree
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 9,2011
Major General Al Hopkins (Ret.) has been awarded an honorary master of laws degree by the board of trustees of the Mississippi College School of Law.
According to MC Law Dean Jim Rosenblatt, Hopkins “played a significant role in helping our law school gain the national recognition it enjoys today.”
After graduating from the University of Mississippi School of Law in 1965 with his juris doctorate degree, Hopkins taught at the Jackson School of Law. The Jackson School of Law later merged with Mississippi College.
Hopkins, 69, now practices in Gulfport with the firm he founded, Hopkins, Barvie & Hopkins, PLLC. He has distinguished himself in his profession as the author of scores of lectures and papers. Hopkins was chosen one of the “Best Lawyers in America” in 2009. He is an A-V-rated attorney in the Martindale Hubble Law Directory.
Hopkins began his military career in 1965 as an enlisted man in the 31st Infantry Division. He received a direct commission to captain in 1970. He served as the assistant adjutant general for the Mississippi National Guard from 1992-1996 when he retired from the military as a major general. He continues to serve as chief judge of the Military Court of Appeals, for Mississippi.
In addition to his law degrees, Hopkins is a 1963 graduate of Delta State College. In 2003, he was named the first recipient of the Delta State Lifetime Achievement Award. More recently, he earned a BA degree from William Carey University in biblical studies. He has continued additional studies in Jerusalem, Israel, and with the Biblical Archeological Society at Oxford University.
Born in Ripley, Hopkins grew up in Walnut. He married his high school sweetheart, the former Ruth Boyd. They have two children, Ashley Anne and Norris.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- News The Way You Want It!
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom