Wilson assumes command of ERDC
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 9,2011
Col. Kevin Wilson assumed the position of commander of the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) in a change of command ceremony conducted in Vicksburg. Wilson, who replaces outgoing Commander Col. Gary E. Johnston, joins ERDC after commanding the newly established USACE Afghanistan Engineer District – South in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
Wilson’s military career began in 1983 with the 65th Combat Engineer Battalion (Light), Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, where he served as platoon leader, executive officer and battalion S4 logistics officer. Other assignments include commander of B Company, 589th Engineer Battalion, Joint Forces Army Engineer Officer responsible for coordinating Army Engineer Operations in support of Homeland Defense and Civil Support in the U.S. Northern Command, commander of the 249th Engineer Battalion Command (Prime Power) and commandant of the U.S. Army Prime Power School.
He responded to disaster relief operations in support of the Federal Emergency Management Agency in New York City following 9/11, in Guam following typhoons Chata’an and Pongsona, and in Louisiana following Hurricane Lily. He also served as military assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works. More recently, he served three years as commander of the Corps’ Alaska District.
Wilson earned a bachelor’s from Bemidji State University in Bemidji, Minn., a master’s in civil engineering from Cornell University and a master’s in strategic studies from the U.S. Army War College. His awards include the Legion of Merit (with one oak leaf cluster), the Bronze Star, the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal (with two oak leaf clusters) and the Silver and Bronze de Fleury Medals.
Johnston retired from the Army after 30 years of service, the final two spent as commander of the ERDC.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- 'Get on Up' movie opens in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet