Hattiesburg mayor officially running for governor
by Wally Northway
Published: January 11,2011
HATTIESBURG — Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny DuPree has made it official — he will run for governor of Mississippi.
DuPree said. “We need someone on Capitol Street in Jackson who understands Main Street in hometowns across Mississippi. We need someone who has experience in making a government work, and someone who knows firsthand that the real strength of any government are the people it serves.”
DuPree said he would spend the next several weeks introducing himself to the people of Mississippi, telling his story and letting voters know how he will tackle the tough issues facing the next governor.
DuPree is serving his third term as mayor of Hattiesburg, being first elected in 2001. He served as a Forrest County supervisor for 10 years before moving to City Hall. He first entered public service in 1987 when he was appointed to the Hattiesburg School Board.
Before entering public service, DuPree worked for 15 years at Sears and Roebuck. In 1988, he and his wife, Johniece, started their own real estate company, DuPree Realty.
The DuPrees, who have been married since 1972, have two daughters.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more