Cooper Tire expanding Tupelo plant again
TUPELO — Officials from Cooper Tire and Rubber Company announced that the company is expanding operations at its Tupelo plant in order to increase production and efficiency at the plant.
The project represents a company investment of $9 million and will create 35 new jobs at the facility.
The expansion is the company’s second in two years at the Tupelo location; in 2009, Cooper Tire officials announced a $7-million, 32,000-square-foot expansion at the facility, which created 150 new jobs.
The 2009 expansion followed the company’s decision to close one of its four U.S. locations. After Cooper Tire announced it was closing its Albany, Ga., facility, it realigned products formerly produced there to its remaining three facilities, including Tupelo.
“Cooper Tire is one of the largest employers in north Mississippi, and I am delighted that the company is continuing to grow and create new jobs for area residents,” said Gray Swoope, Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) executive director.
MDA worked closely with company and local officials to help facilitate the project, providing funding to the city for renovations to the publicly-owned building occupied by the company.
“This expansion will allow the Tupelo plant to further increase its ability to manufacture more complex tire designs and meet the growing demand for Cooper tires, as well as address issues related to flexibility and self-sufficiency,” said Pat Jodon, plant manager of Cooper Tire’s Tupelo facility.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics