Barbour sets special election for Senate seat
JACKSON — Gov. Haley Barbour announced a special election will be held March 1 for District 12 seat in the Mississippi State Senate.
A vacancy was created Jan. 3, 2011, when Johnnie E. Walls Jr. resigned following his election to the Circuit Judgeship for Mississippi’s 11th District. The District 12 Senate seat includes parts of Bolivar and Washington counties.
The qualifying deadline will be Jan. 30. If necessary, a run-off will be held March 22. The winner will serve the remaining portion of the term of office. The election for the next full term will be held in the fall.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Columbia Parachute expanding, relocating to BusinessPlex
- Tourism conference being held on Coast; industry to ask state for more money