Barbour sets special election for Senate seat
JACKSON — Gov. Haley Barbour announced a special election will be held March 1 for District 12 seat in the Mississippi State Senate.
A vacancy was created Jan. 3, 2011, when Johnnie E. Walls Jr. resigned following his election to the Circuit Judgeship for Mississippi’s 11th District. The District 12 Senate seat includes parts of Bolivar and Washington counties.
The qualifying deadline will be Jan. 30. If necessary, a run-off will be held March 22. The winner will serve the remaining portion of the term of office. The election for the next full term will be held in the fall.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- USM staffers Olivia Hurst and Catherine Lott recognized by Public Relations Association of Mississippi