Barbour sets special election for Senate seat
JACKSON — Gov. Haley Barbour announced a special election will be held March 1 for District 12 seat in the Mississippi State Senate.
A vacancy was created Jan. 3, 2011, when Johnnie E. Walls Jr. resigned following his election to the Circuit Judgeship for Mississippi’s 11th District. The District 12 Senate seat includes parts of Bolivar and Washington counties.
The qualifying deadline will be Jan. 30. If necessary, a run-off will be held March 22. The winner will serve the remaining portion of the term of office. The election for the next full term will be held in the fall.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones