Barbour sets special election for Senate seat
JACKSON — Gov. Haley Barbour announced a special election will be held March 1 for District 12 seat in the Mississippi State Senate.
A vacancy was created Jan. 3, 2011, when Johnnie E. Walls Jr. resigned following his election to the Circuit Judgeship for Mississippi’s 11th District. The District 12 Senate seat includes parts of Bolivar and Washington counties.
The qualifying deadline will be Jan. 30. If necessary, a run-off will be held March 22. The winner will serve the remaining portion of the term of office. The election for the next full term will be held in the fall.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions