Northrop, Isle of Capri lays off workers
Published: January 18,2011
PASCAGOULA and BILOXI — Layoffs are on the way at a Mississippi Gulf Coast casino and at a shipyard.
Northrop Grumman yesterday confirmed a WLOX television report that it laid off 76 workers Friday. A company statement issued by spokesman Bill Glenn notes the cyclical nature of the shipbuilding industry.
Meanwhile, WLOX reports that the Isle Casino Hotel in Biloxi notified almost three-dozen employees yesterday that they are being let go.
An Isle spokeswoman said the company is bringing in a private company to do its maintenance. She said the workers were encouraged to apply for other open positions at the Isle, as well as with Southeast Cleaning.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center