Northrop, Isle of Capri lays off workers
Published: January 18,2011
PASCAGOULA and BILOXI — Layoffs are on the way at a Mississippi Gulf Coast casino and at a shipyard.
Northrop Grumman yesterday confirmed a WLOX television report that it laid off 76 workers Friday. A company statement issued by spokesman Bill Glenn notes the cyclical nature of the shipbuilding industry.
Meanwhile, WLOX reports that the Isle Casino Hotel in Biloxi notified almost three-dozen employees yesterday that they are being let go.
An Isle spokeswoman said the company is bringing in a private company to do its maintenance. She said the workers were encouraged to apply for other open positions at the Isle, as well as with Southeast Cleaning.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal