Northrop, Isle of Capri lays off workers
by Associated Press
Published: January 18,2011
PASCAGOULA and BILOXI — Layoffs are on the way at a Mississippi Gulf Coast casino and at a shipyard.
Northrop Grumman yesterday confirmed a WLOX television report that it laid off 76 workers Friday. A company statement issued by spokesman Bill Glenn notes the cyclical nature of the shipbuilding industry.
Meanwhile, WLOX reports that the Isle Casino Hotel in Biloxi notified almost three-dozen employees yesterday that they are being let go.
An Isle spokeswoman said the company is bringing in a private company to do its maintenance. She said the workers were encouraged to apply for other open positions at the Isle, as well as with Southeast Cleaning.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute