Italian company coming to The Accelerator
Published: January 19,2011
HATTIESBURG — Bracco Diagnostics, a multi-national company with headquarters in Milan, Italy, is the newest tenant in the University of Southern Mississippi’s incubator, The Accelerator.
Bracco’s Healthcare Protective Products Division (HPPD) in Hattiesburg will utilize The Accelerator’s resources to begin manufacturing a lotion that neutralizes chemical warfare agents that can prove hazardous to military personnel. The lotion is already used by the U.S. Department of Defense and most NATO militaries.
“We selected The Accelerator at the University of Southern Mississippi because their expertise and resources will allow us to further the development of new technologies in healthcare protective products,” said Tim Henry, vice president and general manager of Bracco’s Healthcare Protective Products Division.
The Accelerator, which opened in March 2010, is Southern Miss’ newest initiative to support innovation and entrepreneurship. The $26-million facility offers more than 60,000 square feet of resources and equipment to support early-state science companies.
Accelerator director Sunny Corral said that in just 10 months of operation the facility has leased 80 percent of the leasable space.
Bracco’s plan is to initially hire 10 people to operate the new facility. First production of the lotion is targeted for this summer.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center