Italian company coming to The Accelerator
by Wally Northway
Published: January 19,2011
HATTIESBURG — Bracco Diagnostics, a multi-national company with headquarters in Milan, Italy, is the newest tenant in the University of Southern Mississippi’s incubator, The Accelerator.
Bracco’s Healthcare Protective Products Division (HPPD) in Hattiesburg will utilize The Accelerator’s resources to begin manufacturing a lotion that neutralizes chemical warfare agents that can prove hazardous to military personnel. The lotion is already used by the U.S. Department of Defense and most NATO militaries.
“We selected The Accelerator at the University of Southern Mississippi because their expertise and resources will allow us to further the development of new technologies in healthcare protective products,” said Tim Henry, vice president and general manager of Bracco’s Healthcare Protective Products Division.
The Accelerator, which opened in March 2010, is Southern Miss’ newest initiative to support innovation and entrepreneurship. The $26-million facility offers more than 60,000 square feet of resources and equipment to support early-state science companies.
Accelerator director Sunny Corral said that in just 10 months of operation the facility has leased 80 percent of the leasable space.
Bracco’s plan is to initially hire 10 people to operate the new facility. First production of the lotion is targeted for this summer.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Ex-Northwest Rankin coach David Coates dies before drug trial
- Supervisors to talk with trustees about selling hospital
- The link between education and economic development
- WOODS: Time to put gloves on for handgrabbing