Italian company coming to The Accelerator
Published: January 19,2011
HATTIESBURG — Bracco Diagnostics, a multi-national company with headquarters in Milan, Italy, is the newest tenant in the University of Southern Mississippi’s incubator, The Accelerator.
Bracco’s Healthcare Protective Products Division (HPPD) in Hattiesburg will utilize The Accelerator’s resources to begin manufacturing a lotion that neutralizes chemical warfare agents that can prove hazardous to military personnel. The lotion is already used by the U.S. Department of Defense and most NATO militaries.
“We selected The Accelerator at the University of Southern Mississippi because their expertise and resources will allow us to further the development of new technologies in healthcare protective products,” said Tim Henry, vice president and general manager of Bracco’s Healthcare Protective Products Division.
The Accelerator, which opened in March 2010, is Southern Miss’ newest initiative to support innovation and entrepreneurship. The $26-million facility offers more than 60,000 square feet of resources and equipment to support early-state science companies.
Accelerator director Sunny Corral said that in just 10 months of operation the facility has leased 80 percent of the leasable space.
Bracco’s plan is to initially hire 10 people to operate the new facility. First production of the lotion is targeted for this summer.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant