Italian company coming to The Accelerator
Published: January 19,2011
HATTIESBURG — Bracco Diagnostics, a multi-national company with headquarters in Milan, Italy, is the newest tenant in the University of Southern Mississippi’s incubator, The Accelerator.
Bracco’s Healthcare Protective Products Division (HPPD) in Hattiesburg will utilize The Accelerator’s resources to begin manufacturing a lotion that neutralizes chemical warfare agents that can prove hazardous to military personnel. The lotion is already used by the U.S. Department of Defense and most NATO militaries.
“We selected The Accelerator at the University of Southern Mississippi because their expertise and resources will allow us to further the development of new technologies in healthcare protective products,” said Tim Henry, vice president and general manager of Bracco’s Healthcare Protective Products Division.
The Accelerator, which opened in March 2010, is Southern Miss’ newest initiative to support innovation and entrepreneurship. The $26-million facility offers more than 60,000 square feet of resources and equipment to support early-state science companies.
Accelerator director Sunny Corral said that in just 10 months of operation the facility has leased 80 percent of the leasable space.
Bracco’s plan is to initially hire 10 people to operate the new facility. First production of the lotion is targeted for this summer.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- Two Delta groups getting economic development funding
- Soybean yield more than doubles in less than a decade
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015