MDEQ’s enHance program adds new members
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) recently accepted 10 new members into its enHance program.
enHance is a voluntary stewardship program begun in 2009 that recognizes committed environmental leaders who accomplish goals beyond their legal requirements. It is open to facilities, cities, counties and other entities that are interested in the program, and applicants can choose from three tiers — Associate, Steward or Leader.
“There are many facilities in Mississippi doing
good work and achieving standards beyond their permit requirements. We
believe they should be recognized for their leadership,” said Trudy Fisher,
MDEQ Executive Director. “In addition, successful participation in this
program will result in the reduction of waste and the conservation of
resources leading to long term economic benefits and continuous
enHance’s 2011 class is:
• Leaders: 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus Air Force Base (Columbus); The Cooper Tire Company (Tupelo); Custom Engineered Wheels (Tupelo); Flexsteel Commercial Seating Division (Starkville); Nissan North America Inc. Canton Manufacturing Plant (Canton); and, Southern Natural Gas-Onward Compressor Station (Cary)
• Membership level change (from Steward to Leader): Leaf River Cellulose, LLC (New Augusta)
• Stewards: The City of Ridgeland; and, Zeon Chemicals, L.P. (Hattiesburg)
• Associate: U.S. Government Printing Office (Stennis Space Center, Hancock County)
Current enHance members are:
• Leaders: Baxter International (Cleveland); Caterpillar High Performance Extrusions (Oxford); Eka Chemicals (Columbus); Haworth (Bruce); Hunter Douglas (Tupelo); International Paper (Redwood), Naval Construction Battalion Center (NCBC) (Gulfport); Nucor/General Recycling (Flowood), and, Southern Natural Gas-Pickens Station (Pickens).
• Stewards: Columbus Brick (Columbus); DTE Petcoke (Vicksburg); Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding (Gulfport); Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems (Ocean Springs); and, Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding (Pascagoula).
• Associates: GDF Suez Choctaw Gas Generation (Ackerman); GDF Suez Red Hills Power Plant (Ackerman); and Gulf States Manufacturers – a Nucor
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports
- Bill would open hospital meetings, expand records access