MDEQ’s enHance program adds new members
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) recently accepted 10 new members into its enHance program.
enHance is a voluntary stewardship program begun in 2009 that recognizes committed environmental leaders who accomplish goals beyond their legal requirements. It is open to facilities, cities, counties and other entities that are interested in the program, and applicants can choose from three tiers — Associate, Steward or Leader.
“There are many facilities in Mississippi doing
good work and achieving standards beyond their permit requirements. We
believe they should be recognized for their leadership,” said Trudy Fisher,
MDEQ Executive Director. “In addition, successful participation in this
program will result in the reduction of waste and the conservation of
resources leading to long term economic benefits and continuous
enHance’s 2011 class is:
• Leaders: 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus Air Force Base (Columbus); The Cooper Tire Company (Tupelo); Custom Engineered Wheels (Tupelo); Flexsteel Commercial Seating Division (Starkville); Nissan North America Inc. Canton Manufacturing Plant (Canton); and, Southern Natural Gas-Onward Compressor Station (Cary)
• Membership level change (from Steward to Leader): Leaf River Cellulose, LLC (New Augusta)
• Stewards: The City of Ridgeland; and, Zeon Chemicals, L.P. (Hattiesburg)
• Associate: U.S. Government Printing Office (Stennis Space Center, Hancock County)
Current enHance members are:
• Leaders: Baxter International (Cleveland); Caterpillar High Performance Extrusions (Oxford); Eka Chemicals (Columbus); Haworth (Bruce); Hunter Douglas (Tupelo); International Paper (Redwood), Naval Construction Battalion Center (NCBC) (Gulfport); Nucor/General Recycling (Flowood), and, Southern Natural Gas-Pickens Station (Pickens).
• Stewards: Columbus Brick (Columbus); DTE Petcoke (Vicksburg); Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding (Gulfport); Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems (Ocean Springs); and, Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding (Pascagoula).
• Associates: GDF Suez Choctaw Gas Generation (Ackerman); GDF Suez Red Hills Power Plant (Ackerman); and Gulf States Manufacturers – a Nucor
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast