Polk, Palazzo honored
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 19,2011
Longtime Magee businessman John Polk and U.S. Congressman Steven Palazzo were honored recently as alumni of the year by the College of Business at the University of Southern Mississippi. Polk, retired executive of Polk Meat Products and newly elected state senator, received the Boardman Distinguished Alumnus of the Year award. Palazzo, who is serving his first term in the U.S. House of Representatives, was presented the inaugural Outstanding Young Alumnus of the Year award.
A 1971 graduate of Southern Miss, Polk took over the family’s meat products business in 1974. Earlier this month Polk was elected to the Mississippi Senate from the 44th District. He said the distinguished alumnus award caught him completely by surprise.
Palazzo, a Gulfport native, earned his undergraduate degree in accounting from Southern Miss in 1994 and returned to obtain a master’s degree from his alma mater in 1996. He and his wife, Lisa, operate Palazzo & Company, PLLC, an international CPA firm specializing in individual income taxes. A Republican, Palazzo was elected to the U.S. House from the Fourth District in 2010.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics