Northrop-built destroyer passes sea test
PASCAGOULA — Northrop Grumman Corporation’s Aegis guided missile destroyer William P. Lawrence (DDG 110) successfully completed her combined super trial last week in the Gulf of Mexico, according to Northrop.
The successful sea trial paved the way for delivery to the Navy in the next six weeks.
The company’s 28th destroyer is being built in Pascagoula.
During the trial, Northrop Grumman and the U.S. Navy’s Board of Inspection and Survey (INSURV) tested the ship’s weapons, communications and propulsion systems and conducted several other inspections including habitability, water purification and food preparation.
The vessel will boast a crew of 276 officers and sailors. It is 509 feet long, weighs 9,200 tons and has four gas-turbine propulsion plants that power the ship to speeds above 30 knots.
This multi-mission ship can conduct a variety of operations, from peacetime presence and crisis management to sea control and power projection, all in support of the United States’ military strategy. William P. Lawrence will be capable of simultaneously fighting air, surface and subsurface battles. The ship contains a myriad of offensive and defensive weapons designed to support maritime defense needs well into the 21st century.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet