Hyde-Smith announces candidacy for ag commissioner
by Wally Northway
Published: January 30,2011
BROOKHAVEN — Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, R-Brookhaven, announced that she will seek the state’s Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce position.
Hyde-Smith and her husband, Mike, are the fourth generation of their family to raise cattle, farm and operate a cattle market auction near Brookhaven.
Hyde-Smith noted that the Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce position is a large job with many statewide policy decisions, rules and regulations to be made daily.
“I have dedicated my entire political career to being a champion for Mississippi agriculture,” she said. “Agriculture is my passion. That is why when I came to the Senate 12 years ago.
Hyde-Smith said it is this legislative and policymaking experience, coupled with her background in agriculture that makes her a logical choice for Agriculture Commissioner.
A graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi, Hyde-Smith was awarded the Farm Bureau Ambassador of the Year Award. She is a member of the Mississippi Cattlemen’s Association, the Lincoln County Cattlemen’s Association, the Lincoln County Forestry Association, the NRA, the American Legislative Exchange Council and serves as the national vice chairman for agriculture of the National Council of State Legislators. Hyde-Smith has received numerous awards and commendations for her legislative work, the most recent being the recipient of the coveted Delta Council Achievement Award. Hyde-Smith is a charter member of the State Agriculture Rural Leader’s Association that has become the nationally recognized organization with the most influence in Washington D.C.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip