Keeping our eye on: Doug Nielsen
Published: January 30,2011
Hometown: Monroe, La.
Education: University of Louisiana at Monroe (B.A. in psychology)
Current Position: Manager, Anytime Fitness in Clinton
From selling cars and carpet to working for Poly Processing Company in Monroe, La., Doug Nielsen’s “winding career path” has stayed colorful. That path recently brought him from the Bayou State to the Magnolia State.
As manager of Anytime Fitness in Clinton, Nielsen has successfully combined two of his interests, business and fitness, into one job.
“I took one business class in college,” Nielsen says. “I’m getting the field education, which is actually way better than what they teach you in the classroom.” He recently spearheaded an Anytime fundraiser for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
In addition to hunting, fishing and cycling, Nielsen likes to run and has completed several half-marathons. “Working out is something I’ve always enjoyed,” he says. ”Health and fitness is more of a lifestyle and not a quick fix.”
Nielsen is an active member of the Clinton Chamber of Commerce and the ULM Alumni Association and Athletic Foundation.
First job ever: Working in a convenience store in Monroe
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Fried chicken at Two Sisters in Jackson
Favorite hangout: “Anywhere I’m jogging in Clinton.”
Favorite television show: “King of the Hill”
Favorite movie: “Braveheart”
Favorite band: Foo Fighters
Last book read: “See Dane Run” by Dane Rauschenberg
Best role model: “My grandfather. He learned to barber in the Navy during World War II and retired the day before his 85th birthday.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Keeping our eye on: Doug Nielsen”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- MSU receives funding for two proposals aimed at boosting NASA missions