OSHA cites RoyTex for 18 safety, health violations
MERIDIAN — The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has cited Roytex Inc. in Meridian with 18 serious safety and health violations for exposing workers to electrical hazards, flaking lead paint, asbestos and other hazards.
Proposed fines total $46,340.
Following a safety inspection, OSHA has cited Roytex for 14 serious violations with a proposed penalty of $33,740. The hazards include: failing to provide fixed stairs and railings where required; lack of a back-up alarm for a powered industrial truck; failing to block the wheels of trailers being loaded and unloaded; several electrical deficiencies; and, failing to provide machine guarding at pinch points between the belt and pulley on the conveyor.
A separate health inspection revealed four serious violations with $12,600 in proposed penalties. These include: failing to treat and label insulation-containing asbestos; monitoring for employee exposure to asbestos; failing to keep surfaces free from accumulation of lead from flaking and pealing wall paint; and, failing to provide a written hazard communication program addressing how to work safely with hazardous chemicals.
“OSHA will not allow companies to endanger the safety and health of its workers as a means to reduce business expenses,” said Clyde Payne, OSHA’s area director in Jackson.
Roytex has 15 business days from receipt of the citations and proposed penalties to comply, request a conference with OSHA’s area director or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody