Chevron to build lubricants plant on Coast
Published: January 31,2011
The $1.4-billion Pascagoula Base Oil Project (PBOP) is projected to generate approximately 1,000 jobs over the next two years of construction and about 20 permanent positions once the facility is operating.
The facility will manufacture 25,000 barrels per day of premium base oil, the main ingredient in the production of top-tier motor oil that helps improve fuel economy, lower tail-pipe emissions and extend the time between oil changes.
Construction is scheduled to be completed by year-end 2013.
PBOP will roughly double Chevron’s premium base oil production. The company currently manufactures premium base oil at its refinery in Richmond, Calif., and a joint venture facility in Yeosu, Korea. Premium base oil produced in Pascagoula is intended to serve markets in North America, Latin America and Europe. In addition to motor oil, base oil is also used to make lubricants for high-tech machinery and equipment used in the commercial and industrial sectors of the economy.
As Chevron’s largest wholly-owned refinery, the Pascagoula facility has a work force of 1,610 and processes up to 330,000 barrels per day of crude oil to produce gasoline, jet fuel, diesel and other products. The refinery began operating in 1963.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- 'Get on Up' movie opens in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet