Dedication ceremony held for renovated Giles Hall
Published: February 1,2011
STARKVILLE — During a Jan. 28 ceremony, Mississippi State University’s College of Architecture, Art, and Design dedicated the newly renovated Giles Hall auditorium in honor of longtime supporters Robert and Freda Harrison.
The Robert and Freda Harrison Auditorium is named for the Madison couple, who have shared a 30-year relationship with Mississippi State and the architecture school.
The auditorium, which seats up to 200 persons, has been a major campus venue for a variety of activities since 1985. Recently a gift from the Harrisons made possible a complete renovation of the auditorium.
Robert Harrison is a retired architect, consultant and founding partner of Jackson-based JH&H Architects. He holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Tulane University in architecture and business administration, respectively. He also completed a master’s in architecture from the University of Florida. Currently a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects, and a Fellow in the Construction Specifications Institute, Harrison is a former national board member with the organizations. He also is a past president of both Mississippi chapters.
Established in 1973, MSU’s undergraduate architecture program includes four years of study on the Starkville campus and a final year in Jackson. As an adjunct faculty member, Harrison was the first teacher for the fifth-year program in Jackson. He also has been a longtime member of the school’s advisory board.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force