Dedication ceremony held for renovated Giles Hall
Published: February 1,2011
STARKVILLE — During a Jan. 28 ceremony, Mississippi State University’s College of Architecture, Art, and Design dedicated the newly renovated Giles Hall auditorium in honor of longtime supporters Robert and Freda Harrison.
The Robert and Freda Harrison Auditorium is named for the Madison couple, who have shared a 30-year relationship with Mississippi State and the architecture school.
The auditorium, which seats up to 200 persons, has been a major campus venue for a variety of activities since 1985. Recently a gift from the Harrisons made possible a complete renovation of the auditorium.
Robert Harrison is a retired architect, consultant and founding partner of Jackson-based JH&H Architects. He holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Tulane University in architecture and business administration, respectively. He also completed a master’s in architecture from the University of Florida. Currently a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects, and a Fellow in the Construction Specifications Institute, Harrison is a former national board member with the organizations. He also is a past president of both Mississippi chapters.
Established in 1973, MSU’s undergraduate architecture program includes four years of study on the Starkville campus and a final year in Jackson. As an adjunct faculty member, Harrison was the first teacher for the fifth-year program in Jackson. He also has been a longtime member of the school’s advisory board.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics