Education advisory council releases annual report
JACKSON — Gov. Haley Barbour has presented the State Early Childhood Advisory Council’s Annual Report “Keeping the Course: Mapping the Journey to High Quality for Mississippi’s Early Care and Education System.”
The Council received a $1,685,344 grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to continue work to develop a comprehensive early childhood system that will create a seamless delivery of services to children in Mississippi. The executive summary and full report is available online at www.governorbarbour.com/links/earlychildhoodcouncil.html.
The report highlights the activities, accomplishments, and recommendations of the Council resulting from this past year’s work. Recommendations in the report include:
• A career ladder for early care and education teachers
• Alignment of early learning standards for children from birth to four years with K-12 education
• A voluntary registry of family child care providers
• Information packets to parents of newborns to assist them as their children’s first teachers.
In 2008, Barbour established the State Early Childhood Advisory Council to develop a strategic plan to coordinate efforts, programs and resources supporting children from birth to age five and to identify opportunities for and barriers to collaboration and coordination among programs and agencies.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter