VT Halter lays keel for U.S. research ship
The event was held yesterday at the shipyard in Moss Point.
The USNS Maury Survey Ship will have state-of-the-art survey equipment to undertake oceanographic surveys anywhere in the world.
Navy officials say the $87-million ship will also assist with humanitarian and disaster aid missions.
VT Halter has built six of the original vessels.
The all-steel vessel can carry a 67-person crew.
Bill Skinner, CEO of VT Halter, says it will take about 18 months to complete the ship.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- State Rep. Patterson switches from Democrats to GOP