VT Halter lays keel for U.S. research ship
The event was held yesterday at the shipyard in Moss Point.
The USNS Maury Survey Ship will have state-of-the-art survey equipment to undertake oceanographic surveys anywhere in the world.
Navy officials say the $87-million ship will also assist with humanitarian and disaster aid missions.
VT Halter has built six of the original vessels.
The all-steel vessel can carry a 67-person crew.
Bill Skinner, CEO of VT Halter, says it will take about 18 months to complete the ship.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Hosemann revels in victory over Court's redistricting ruling
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Airport's food irradiation business could create new jobs
- Nullification and interposition
- In wake of bond issue failure, golf course fights to stay playable
- Ag officials say late planting reaching historical proportions