VT Halter lays keel for U.S. research ship
The event was held yesterday at the shipyard in Moss Point.
The USNS Maury Survey Ship will have state-of-the-art survey equipment to undertake oceanographic surveys anywhere in the world.
Navy officials say the $87-million ship will also assist with humanitarian and disaster aid missions.
VT Halter has built six of the original vessels.
The all-steel vessel can carry a 67-person crew.
Bill Skinner, CEO of VT Halter, says it will take about 18 months to complete the ship.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data